Men’s soccer splits series

Ending non-conference play on Tuesday with a 2-1 victory over Hawaii Pacific, the Sonoma State University men’s soccer team (6-3-0 overall, 1-1-0 CCAA) started conference play with a record of 5-2.  They ended up splitting the weekend and won the first and lost the second.

The game against Hawaii Pacific started quickly, with SSU scoring within the first seven minutes. The Sharks failed to clear the ball from the goal, which gave sophomore Armando Coronel a perfect set up for an assist to sophomore Cedric Dinane, who headed the ball into the net.  That was the only goal of the first half for either team.

The next two goals, one for each team, were scored with under six minutes left of play.  SSU was again the first to score.  With less than six minutes of regulation left, Coronel was passed the ball from junior Brenton Frame.  With only the goalkeeper between him and the net, Coronel shot to give the Seawolves the insurance goal they needed.

A few minutes later, the Sharks netted one past junior goalkeeper Sean Taufer, though it wasn’t enough as the game ended three minutes after they scored. Taufer had five stops for the day, three of which were in the first half.  

“The win against Hawaii Pacific was a big confidence boost because we were able to go into conference play with a win under our belt,” said Coronel.

Tuesday’s mid-week non-conference game was a precursor for the Seawolves’ first conference game.  Despite the 45-minute lightning delay, the men’s soccer team outshot and made the only goal of the game against Cal State Monterey Bay on Friday.

The goal came in the first half, before the lightning delay, from Dinane, assisted by sophomore Raspreet Sandhu and freshman Josh Sanchez. After returning from the delay, there were five yellow cards as well as two red cards given, all of which came in the last 23 minutes of regulation play.

The goal in the first half was the only goal needed to end the game with a Seawolves win.

Going into Sunday’s game with a week record of 2-0, the Seawolves were on a high, but it just wasn’t enough to defeat Humboldt State on Sunday.  The overtime loss was a constant battle between the two teams, with one red card shown against the Seawolves in the second half.

The Lumberjacks started things off in the first half with a goal four minutes into the game.  That was the only goal scored in the first half. 

Within two minutes of the second half, Coronel headed the ball with an assist from Frame past HSU’s goalkeeper to tie the game at 1-1. That would be Coronel’s third goal for the season. About 10 minutes later, SSU received a red card and was forced to finish the game down one player.

After a save by goalkeeper Taufer on a penalty kick, the Lumberjacks scored on a corner kick, leading the Seawolves 2-1 eight minutes into the second half.

“When we’re down we have to have a short term memory,” said Coronel. “We don’t dwell on it. We pick each other up and continue to work for a positive result.”

The last goal of regulation play came 10 more minutes later from Frame; a shot assisted by Sanchez and junior Sean Callahan. That would be Frame’s second goal of the season, which tied the game at 2-2.

Both teams were able to hold off each other and forced a 10-minute overtime.  SSU received the first chance to net the ball, but sophomore Jose Avalos’ kick went high and to the right of the goal.  Shortly after, HSU ended the game in sudden death with a controversial goal past Taufer.

After beating the Otters, the Seawolves end their first conference weekend at 1-1-0.  The men continue conference play on the road against Cal State East Bay on Friday at 4:30 p.m.